If you are in management and have had no management training, don’t worry, you are not alone: the CIPD reports that 36% of UK managers have had no preparation for the role. OK, so what are the risks?
- Unless you are one of the lucky 10% that Gallup reports as being natural managers, you are much more likely to be seen as one of the 43% of managers rated as inefficient by their staff (BIS: Leadership and Management in the UK – the key to sustainable growth). If you are seen as inefficient by staff that will affect their productivity and engagement.
- The profitability of your operation could be up to 48% lower than managers with better training and development!
- You are quite possibly working for one of the 75% of organisations that report a skills gap in management and leadership.
- There is a significantly higher risk of business failure – insolvency experts report that “poor” management is the root cause of 56% of company failures.
- You could be missing out on 23% improvements in results by having a lack of training.
- You are less likely to be able to manage change without getting resistance from staff.
- You are far less likely to be a good planner and strategist.
- You are more likely to experience loneliness and isolation.
Not a pretty picture! Minimise the risks and build your confidence by investing in some training and development. You’ve only got a 10% chance of being a natural at management.
I raise money for the Alzheimer’s Society in the UK – a very small donation at http://www.virginmoneygiving.com/everyonedeservesgoodmanagement would be most appreciated.